Playhouse Company call for auditionsThe Playhouse Company
The Playhouse Company will hold auditions on 21 December 2012, for a production entitled “Culture Clash” to be staged at the Playhouse in May 2013.
The Playhouse Company will hold auditions on 21 December 2012, from 11 am, for a production entitled “Culture Clash” to be staged at the Playhouse in May 2013 as part of our New Stages season. Culture Clash is a potent drama production of love between a Zulu boy and an Indian girl in Durban both from culturally conservative families. The script is written by Edmund Mhlongo with Ashwin Singh collaborating as Script Editor.
The following is a synopsis of the characters required:
1. BHEKANI MTHETHWA: A handsome young man in his early 20s. He is super-ambitious and a go-getter. An intelligent rural-born boy who is highly mannered, honest and but straightforward with his thoughts.
2. BABA MTHETHWA: A traditionalist, stubborn Zulu man, 50 years, who is very protective of his culture and strong believer on status quo when it comes to his Zulu culture. Very proud of his Royal Education he obtained.
3. MRS MTHETHWA: An open-minded rural woman, early-40s, who is also an enlightened Sangoma.
4. LATISHA REDDY: A beautiful Indian girl, early 20’s who is very assertive and not in favour of arranged marriage culture or anything culture that bond other people. She is an extremely open-minded person.
5. MR REDDY: A 50-year old conservative Hindu businessman who aspire for the preservation of his roots at all costs. A believer that good fence makes good neighbours.
6. MRS REDDY: Late 40s and highly respecting woman who abides by the rules of her husband but always with an opinion on issues.
7. SIBONGILE: An African woman, mid-20s, loyal to her employers but selfish to her wants and flows with the direction of the wind.
8. HLENGIWE: Mid-20s, friend of Sibongile.
Please prepare a short monologue for your audition. Aspirant performers must be of a professional standard and preference will be given to performers with professional experience.
Auditions will take place at The Playhouse in Studio 503 on Friday, 21 December 2012. Please call Kipi Skweyiya on 031 369 9463 between 9am and 4pm by no later than 4pm on Wednesday, 19 December to book your audition slot.
The Playhouse Company
031 369 9407
078 802 0900
Playhouse, Durban KwaZulu-Natal South Africa